Friday, July 5, 2013

My Communities

I took time to write out and think about all the various communities I currently belong to.  Until I did this, I really never thought about how many people and things I associate myself with in my daily life.  The first community I thought about was the small group of U of M Dearborn hockey players.  I first was welcomed into this community in last august when I first met the team and we took the ice to start the season.  In the beginning I was a bit uncomfortable, not knowing any of the guys I now called teammates.  Quickly I got to know he guys and I began to feel like a part of the team.  There is a boundary separating the community from the rest of the school community.  This of course is our participation in hockey for the school.  Besides the "hockey hair" and typical hockey apparel, one would not know who may or may not be part of the team.  The one shared similarity throughout the whole community would be our love and joy from playing hockey.  We practice 3-4 times per week and have between 1-3 games, so we see a lot of each other.  I now feel like a part of this hockey family and consider it part of my identity.  Another community I recently became a part of is Park Colony Club in Allen Park.  This is a private swim/family club where I work over the summer life guarding. From the beginning all the members were very friendly and welcoming.  Most members are families with young children.  There is no real way to ell outside who would be a member, it is open to anyone who pays the membership fee.  The main beliefs/interests of the members are just having a good time and a fun safe place to take the kids over the summer months.  I really enjoy working here because I get to be outside in the sun and socialize with many great people (and not to mention their great cooking).

No comments:

Post a Comment